Teaching & Assessment: The 40 hour course will be conducted over a period of 5 days consisting of series of short lectures, Peer to Peer discussions, equipment demonstration, familiarisation, and practical use of ECDIS, in both static and dynamic simulated exercise modes.
The course will include a formal and practical examination.
· Introduction to the ECDIS training units.
· Legal aspects with regard to the carriage and use of ECDIS.
· Principal Electronic Chart types including their maintenance.
· I.M.O. performance standards for ECDIS.
· Performance and limitations of ECDIS equipment.
· Correction & maintenance of the Electronic Chart Database & ECDIS software.
· Route planning/monitoring.
· The Voyage Plan including data recording and reviewing.
· Dangers in over reliance upon E-Nav Equipment & its limitations.
· Appreciation of ECDIS in conjunction with ARPA, AIS, & visual lookout.
· Conducting offshore, coastal, & confined water exercises with ECDIS to monitor & control safe passage of the vessel.
Entry Requirements: Delegates should hold a Deck certificate of competency at the operational level..